Family Law & Mediation
Compassionate and Strong Counsel for Your Family’s Needs
Divorce and related family law issues represent a time of turmoil. There are many uncertainties that need to be resolved if the family is to move forward on solid footing regardless of whether the divorce is contested or uncontested. At Cray Law PLC, our family law attorneys provide compassionate and yet aggressive representation that helps guide our clients in Burlington, Greater Southeastern Iowa and West-Central Illinois through difficult times.
Mediation is often an effective way to work collaboratively with the other party to find an amicable solution. This constructive approach allows parties to efficiently resolve cases by voluntary agreements, making your family’s best interest a priority.
Our Comprehensive Family Law Services
Our lawyers try to foster a healthy family dynamic that will be a strong foundation for your home. The wide variety of family law services we offer includes:
- Divorce: We will go through this process with you every step of the way, whether you are sitting in a courtroom or at a negotiating table.
- Property Division: Iowa is an “equitable property” state, which means that all assets and debts acquired during the marriage should be divided fairly. This, however, isn’t the same as 50-50.
- Child Custody: While the courts often want children to have equal time with both parents, we can help ensure that you get the time you deserve.
- Child Support: The state sets guidelines for child support based on a calculation of income earned by each spouse and needs of the children.
- Alimony/Spousal Maintenance / Spousal Support: We can help determine eligibility based on income, length of marriage and other unique factors.
- Contempt and Enforcement: We can help when a spouse doesn’t follow the guidelines set in the divorce agreement.
- Modifications: As life and circumstances change, agreements may need to be modified.
- Adoption: We can guide you through the process to ensure that all legal requirements are met to help expedite the process
We are Here to Safeguard Your Future
Family law cases often include a series of difficult choices that will affect you and your family’s lives for years to come. Our experienced attorneys provide caring and knowledgeable representation that will safeguard your future.